Saturday, June 18, 2011

Fonderific!

So every year I make my kids cakes myself.  The girls especially love to pick out their "theme" style of cake. 

I almost always use fondant.  I just discovered Fonderific which tastes 100X better than Wilton fondant and is much easier to work with.

I have never colored my own fondant, but this years cake required a color that does not normally already come in the fondant.  So we had to color our own.

We went to Ro Z's Cake shop and got all our supplies..she is the nicest person EVER and was sooo much help!

Coloring fondant is SUPER easy (much easier than I though), it DOES take some time to get the shade you want, so have patience.

Some tips I have learned:

1. Use gloves or your hands will be stained for minute! ;)

2. Try to cover your counter in saran wrap or that Glade Press & Seal stuff.  That way you can knead your fondant without staining your counters.

3. Keep your fondant after you have opened it inside a plastic bag and air tight container so it does not dry out.

4. Normally if your fondant is pretty stiff, pop it in the mic for 30 seconds per pound and that loosens it up just enough to make it easier to start kneading.  If it is at room temp, just work it with your hands and it will soften up.

5.  Try not to work the fondant (if its fonderific fondant) TO much or it will get TO soft as it can tear easy and make it harder to work with.

6.  You can work gum paste into your fondant if you are making lets say flowers, gum paste when it drys will dry harder than fondant and hold shapes better.

Here are the flowers we made to put on my daughters cake, in one of the pictures you can see the Lime green fondant that we colored for one of the tiers of her cake.

The green is much prettier in person, trust me! ;)  Stay turned for the final cake in a couple weeks, I can't wait to share it with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment